Decorating ~ Home and Blog

One of my most favorite things to do (there I go with the word "favorite" again) is to decorate! To make a room pleasing to the eye, warm and inviting, comfortable to the touch, and a safe haven is what decorating means to me.
To me, the first rule of decorating your home is to invite the Lord to live there, just as it is in your soul.
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15b
It is He who is our comfort and safe haven! In knowing and understanding that, we know what we need to do to make our homes that place for family and friends, and for those who do not know Him!
When it comes to my blog, I feel the same way. I decorate it the way that I decorate our home! I want you to feel at home, at ease, in friend's company......to be a warm and inviting place to enjoy reading about my life as if we are sitting down with a cup a tea, or latte (as some of you know me) talking about what's going on in my life, and what God is doing in it. To enjoy the sound of music; whether it be classical, bluegrass, Christmas, barn dancing, tip toeing music..... and having pictures hanging on my blog that match the season, and who I am.
Years ago, I used to sell Home Interiors. In doing so, I gained a wealth of knowledge about decorating. During that time, I was given a "Top 10 Home Decorating Questions" paper. This helped me out a lot in teaching others how to decorate their homes. I thought I would share it with you.
Top 10 Home Decorating Questions
1. Where should I start?
~ The entryway is a good way to start. Experts say this is the most logical place, since that area is the first place people see, and some never see past it. It should be welcoming and say "Come on in!". *Candlelight is one of many welcoming tools in your entryway. *Swags can be a welcoming tool just as wreaths are on a door. *Mirrors add depth and reflect light and movement.
2. What's next?
~The next place you want to decorate is the next place people see the most. The guest bathroom, kitchen, living room, etc. ~Give guests something to read on the wall ~Put candles in any bathroom.
3. How do I know where and how high to hang wall groupings on the wall?
~Measure 60 inches up from the floor (eye level). A grouping shouldn't be any higher on the wall then eye level. ~To hang wall groupings over the furniture, you want to hang them 3 to 11 inches over your furniture. Hang your groupings in relation to furniture and how it will be seen.
4. How far apart do I space my accessories from each other?
~No more than a palm between items. ~Lay framed art, accessories, etc... on floor the way you want your wall to look. Put wall grouping on butcher paper and trace around items. Put paper on the wall and position. Tape the paper, then put nails through paper and pull the paper away.
5. What is the most important decorating tip?
~Your decor should reflect your personality, and those who live there.
6. How do I start a successful wall grouping?
~Find a focal point you want in your wall grouping. This will help start out the theme for your grouping. Normally, a focal point is a picture or a mirror. ~Add a shelf or planter that will add dimension to your wall grouping. ~Add accessories to the grouping: figurines, smaller framed art and decorative objects. ~Florals and/or greenery will help bring your grouping to life. ~Add some candlelight to the wall grouping. It will add warmth, fragrance and ambiance.
7. Do my rooms have to match in theme and color?
~Rooms should flow by use of some elements like color, formality, style, etc. ~Use different colors in your room for your primary and secondary colors. ~If rooms are very open to one another, the style should be similar. ~If you have an upstairs, let yourself have a little freedom from what you have downstairs.
8. How can I determine what the best colors and styles I should use?
~Tear out pictures from magazines that appeal to you, no matter what it is. After a month or so you will see a pattern of color develop in the pictures you tore out. ~Find a picture or material from a piece of furnishing (drapery, or a pillow that you love). That can be a starting point for a whole room or the whole house!
9. What can I do with what I have and change it to another look without a lot of expense?
~That is when someone who has knowledge about decorating can save you both time and money by helping you to pull together what you have. Find a friend who you know has decorating talent, and have them come and give you ideas.
10. I love to decorate myself, but I don't seem to have the time to get it together. What can I do?
~Take projects and divide them into smaller ones. ~Instead of being overwhelmed with a whole room; take on a wall. ~Take a day to write down exactly what you would like to do. Then set a time, maybe once a week or once a month to work on just that room, one area at a time. Paint the the ceiling one day, the walls another, then work on the next area that is bothering you the most. Once you get started, you will want to finish. Just get started! ~Have someone help you with your plan. This will help you get focused.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to thank those who come by to visit my blog! I would love to know who all of you are that come visit, so please leave a note for me because I would love to know you! God bless you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You can tell, When you open the door!
You can tell, If theres love in a home!
Every table and chair seems to smile,
Do come in, come and stay for a while.
You almost feel youve been there once before,
By the shine and glow of the room!
And the clock seems to chime,
Come again anytime,
You'll be welcome wherever you roam!
You can tell when theres Love in a Home!"

Lyrics from "Love in a Home"

Sung by Perry Como

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments

Anonymous said…
Heather thank you so much for sharing that as I have been wondering about decorating. I need to decorate the campus apartment that we are living in so that I can make it feel more like our home instead of a dorm.

Your room is lovely!!!
Anonymous said…
Heather! WOW I love your latest post...I love so many things in your room...We have alot of the same things in our home! I wish my room was that big! But you've seen my room...it's ALL bed! LoL....Thanks for sharing....I love all your advice. :-)
Hugs to you...
Lord Bless..
Joyfully,
Megan <3
ExploreColorado said…
Lovely post. Nice decorating. Sounds like you have a fun job. It would be neat to see all the different Antiques that come through.
Vickie

Popular posts from this blog

Something’s Gonna Give

My Future Birthday Gift

Craft Fair and other news